The University of Kansas An Official Employee Publication From the Office of University Relations
 

 

Quiz    

July 18, 2005
Vol. 29, No. 18

New KU logo selected
Jazz critic has new gig
Spring calendar adjusted by 1 day
Enrollment center changes name
Tuition below national average
Public health programs get grants
Researchers work on 'male pill'
Payroll deduction for fitness center

Summer Dole series announced
KU seeks links to Asia
2006 state holidays
UPSA now Unclassified Senate

New Senex members named
Classifieds officially switch, get raises

Employees of month recognized
CTE announces summer summit theme
Quiz: Hay-worth or Hah-worth?

KU flag to accompany troops
Lindley Annex comes down

Old KU: Ice cream wagon

Calendar

Credits

Current jobs

In memory

KU people

News in brief

Web works

Archives

Contact Us

KU Faculty & Staff

News

UR homepage

KU homepage

Oread Deadline Schedule

Search

 

 

 

 

Q. Is the correction pronunciation of Haworth Hall “Hay-worth” or “Hah-worth”?

A: Some say “Hah-worth” while others say “Hay-worth,” but Erasmus Haworth, for whom the hall is named, pronounced it “Hah-worth.”


Haworth, known as “Daddy,” was a geology and mineralogy professor and department chair from 1892 to 1920 and founder of the Kansas Geological Survey. He earned bachelor’s (1881) and master’s (1884) degrees from KU and a doctorate at Johns Hopkins University (1888).


Haworth’s granddaughter Darthea Stodder diZerega, of Wichita, has researched the point and learned that Haworth’s wife, Ida, did not like “Hay-worth”; she considered “Hah-worth” more pleasing and encouraged its use. Erasmus’ father, Ellwood, a Quaker minister in Galena, also used that pronunciation. Among Erasmus’ descendants “Hah-worth” is used, says great-grandson Ed diZerega of Lawrence.

The first Haworth Hall, named for the professor when it opened in 1909, housed geology and mineralogy and was on the present site of Wescoe Hall on Jayhawk Boulevard. After a new mineral resources building, Lindley Hall, opened in 1943, various biological and medical departments moved into Haworth. When the new biological sciences building was completed in 1969, the name moved down the Hill with it.

Visit www.kuhistory.com.

   
Back to topHome   This site is maintained by University Relations, the public relations office for the University of Kansas Lawrence campus. Copyright 2001, the University of Kansas Office of University Relations. Images and information may be reused with notice of copyright, but not altered. kurelations@ku.edu, (785) 864-3256.