KU programs rank among nation’s best
U.S. News rates graduate programs at KU in top 25
graduate programs at KU rank in the top 25 among the nation’s public
universities, according to the 2005 edition of U.S. News’ “America’s
Best Graduate Schools.”
Of the 25 programs, 12 are ranked in the top 10. The city management and
urban policy program and the special education program are ranked No.
1 among public universities.
Programs that moved up in rank from last year include audiology (from
sixth to fifth among public universities), public affairs (from seventh
to fifth), social work (from 11th to eighth) and physical therapy (from
12th to 10th).
KU’s Department of Public Administration can claim three top 10
rankings and a fourth top 20 ranking: first in the city management/urban
policy specialization, 10th in the overall “public affairs”
field, seventh in public management and 17th for public finance and budgeting.
The School of Engineering has three graduate programs in the top 30 among
public universities and four programs in the top 50. The programs are
aerospace engineering (tied for 24th), environmental health engineering
(tied for 27th), civil engineering (tied for 28th) and mechanical engineering
(tied for 47th).
The School of Education’s teacher preparation program continues
to be ranked in the top 50 graduate programs among public universities.
The School of Law was ranked 33rd out of public universities.
KU graduate programs in U.S. News’ top 10
of national public universities:
• city management and urban policy ranks first
• special education ranks first
• community health is tied for second
• paleontology ranks third
• public management ranks fourth
• occupational therapy is tied for fourth
• public affairs is tied for fifth
• audiology ranks fifth
• speech-language-pathology ranks sixth
• sedimentology/stratigraphy ranks seventh
• social work is tied for eighth
• physical therapy is tied for 10th
KU graduate programs in U.S. News’ top 25 of national public universities:
• nursing-midwifery is tied for 12th
• music is tied for 12th
• nursing-anesthesia is tied for 14th
• public finance and budgeting is tied for 17th
• health services administration is tied for 18th
• clinical child psychology is tied for 19th
• nursing is tied for 20th
• rural medicine is tied for 22nd
• clinical psychology is tied for 23rd
• drama/theatre is tied for 23rd
• history is tied for 23rd
• aerospace engineering is tied for 24th
• education is tied for 25th